Display questions: simple question=> “What is this
called in English?
Referential questions: complex question => “What
are the steps governments should take, if any, to stem the
rate of deforestation in tropical countries?”
- What do you think about the weather today?
- What do you like about the English language?
- Why did you choose your academic major?
Elicitation of questions from the test-taker
Do you have any questions for me?
- Ask me about my family or job or interests.
- If you could interview the president or prime minister
of your country, what would you ask that person?
(Test-takers respond with questions)
Giving Instructions and Directions
- How do you access email on a PC computer?
- How do you program telephone numbers into a cell (mobile)
- How do I get from ______ to ______ in your city?
(Test-takers respond with appropriate instructions/direction).
Paraphrasing (a phone message)
Please tell Jeff that I’m tied up in traffic so
I am going to be about half hour late for the nine o’clock
meeting. And ask him to bring up our question about the
employee benefits plan. If he wants to check in with me
on my cell, have him call 415-338-3095. Thanks.
(test-takers response with two three sentences)